Monday, March 21, 2011

I'm a Big Fan... of the Big Fans

Here is the hilarious wikipedia "explanation" of the Spanish band "Locomia":

Locomía (also known as Loco Mia) was a Spanish pop group popular in the 1980s and 1990s. They combined elements of tropical with British music of the New Wave and New Romantics. Their first hit was the eponymous "Locomia".

The original members were Xavier Font, Manuel Arjona, Gard Paschieer, and Luis Font. In 1987, the latter two were replaced by Juan Antonio Fuentes and Carlos Armas, followed by Francesc Picas. The band was probably as famous for its costumes as for the music. They often appeared in extravagant outfits that combined Spanish matador pants with frilly jackets done in eighteenth-century style. Fan-twirling was an important part of both their stage performance and their music videos.*


By way of an explanation, I should let you know, if you didn't already, that the members of the (reconstituted, apparently) band lived next door to us on the top floor of 8 Cava de San Miguel, right in the middle of the ancient part of Madrid. I lived there in the late 1980's upon my brief return to Madrid, after my mother's death. They were pleasant enough when I would occasionally pass one of them on the stairwell or coming out of the door to their apartment. Nothing particularly unusual went on there, except for a lot of rehearsal time, with loud playback in the background. When they weren't dressed in their garish costumes, they actually looked quite, well, normal. Kind of preppy, really.

The main annoyance that came with living next door to pop stars was that young girls would often ring our buzzer (5th floor, Right-hand side apartment) thinking it was Locomia's (5th floor, left). There was just so much high-pitched tween screaming one could take, particularly when it came late at night. I can see how that might have gotten pretty old pretty fast.

Sadly, I left that apartment, and Spain, before getting to know any of those lads very well. I will say this for them: It was evident that they were serious dancers, who worked hard at what they did. True, their "music" (ahem) may not have stood the test of time, but don't rule out a Locomia reunion. Couldn't you see them opening for Lady Gaga?

I could.


* Speaking of their videos, here's one. And oh, by the way... you're welcome! And you have to admit it -- the fan twirling is kind of cool.

2 comments:

  1. I forgot to give you my name and email. allan weisbecker at acwdownsouth@yahoo.com. I have a blog at blog.banditobooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t see my original comment asking about my old teacher Ugo Toppo. Damn cyber BS!

    ReplyDelete