Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Great Diego Cooking School Debacle

Picture a little face. The face of a seven-year-old boy. He's looking up at you, and he's asking you, "What are we going to do today, Daddy?" He asks the question with a mixture of intrigue and misgiving. This morning, when Diego asked me the question, as he does on most non-school days, I heard my wife say from the bedroom, "No se lo diga." Spanish. Our code language, and probably the only way we'll get them to learn it, because if they think we're telling secrets on them, they're going to want to understand it.

Really healthy, I know.

"No se lo diga." Don't tell him. My wife's instincts were telling her that if this boy got an answer to his question ("We're going to Central Market for a cooking class.") he would raise all kinds of stink and make my morning a living hell. (I say "my" morning, because Jeanette was headed for the merciful sanctuary of work. I'm "off" for Spring Break this week, so I'm on Daddy Day-care duty.)

"We're going on an adventure!" That's our stock response when we don't want the kids to know where we're taking them. Of course, they've figured this out by now, so he immediately asks me to be more specific about said adventure.

"You'll see, buddy. You'll like it."

It's not until we're pulling into Central Market that I reveal the truth of what's happening. "I don't want to do cooking class! I hate cooking class!"

"You do not hate cooking class," I say, remaining calm, but with beads of sweat already forming. Don't let them smell your fear; it's like blood in the water to them.

"I'm not going!" he said, walking away from me in the parking lot.

"Diego, you get back here NOW. One....TWO..."

Then comes his meltdown. The tears well up and fall. Despite all my efforts at Love and Logic, I become Daddy Monster, the daddy I don't want to be. I issue threats, doing my best to make them reasonable. Jackson, the five year old, is -- and by the way, Jesus, thank you -- calm and not so concerned about cooking class. I think he's figured out that there will be cookies involved, and maybe a lot of them.

My threats are enough to get Diego into the classroom, where the instructors look at me with concerned expressions on their faces. Diego repays my threats of depriving him of his greatest love -- technology -- by refusing to participate in the class, for which we paid a nice little chunk of change, I might add. I watch them from outside the glass, Jackson happily cooking and eating and eating and goofing with the other boys and eating, while Diego sits by himself, coloring. He's not disruptive; he's got an almost eerie peace about him, and inside I'm churning.

I must, of course, enforce my punishment. He is not allowed any technology for the rest of the day. I spend way too much time wondering why the hell I let this stuff get me so angry, and why I can't be the in-control father that I fancy all the fathers around me to be.

But then something occurs to me. Diego is a smart, smart child. He made the choice to take control of his situation, even though he knew the cost would be something dear to him. It must be difficult having your days dictated by someone else all the time. As much as it annoyed me, at the end of the day I kind of have to applaud the kid for standing up for something.

I won't tell him that though, will I? Like fear, they smell empathy, and feed on it voraciously.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, the little thorns in our sides we refer to as "children.". The same exact thing happened to me today. Except it was gymnastics class, not cooking class. And they knew about it in advance. After letting them get their whine and negativity out in the car on the way there, I figured it would be smooth sailing in the actual class. But no. My kid was the one who cried, sat out, and watched. My recourse? "well, because of the way you behaved, I'm not giving you...lunch." yeah, I totally said that. And guess what? It all worked out. Because he wasnt planning on eating anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Compared to what I went through yesterday, you all are amateurs. Yep, amateurs... I was baby sitting my 2 year old grandson whose parents left him with us for a couple days for a respite in the FL Keys.. (Sea Food Festival & me to baby sit..) He went in for his nap with no problems and the grandmother went out to run some errands while I sat until the parents arrived to pick their son up...Yep, their son and not my grandson.. Anyway, after awhile and when I felt he should be up already I put my ear to the door and could hear faint sounds as if he were contemplating something or just waiting. I entered the dark room and could see his image sitting on the end of the big boy bed he now sleeps in... He was quite and not calling out for his Nana or Pop to come and get him as usual. I slipped the light on and low and behold he gave me the "aw sh*& you caught me look".. and there he sat covered from head to toe with red and yellow PAINT... Yep, he got into his Nana's paint and decided to decorate his sheets, his entire body, the wall and finger paint the entire side of a dresser... What a mess.. Long story short, with the red paint all over, the place looked like a crime scene. After a quick call as to the type of paint and what I needed to do to clean. I placed the little guy on the bathroom floor telling him to put his paint filled hands on this stomach and leave them there..of which he acknowledge with an ok pop... To add insult to injury, he dropped a load in this diaper as to tell me, don't mess with me dude.. As I scrambled to clean and get him into the tub, we both broke up laughing and in retrospect I thought that was better than giving him a what for... And this too shall pass but we'll be laughing or at least everyone else will for a long time to come.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how you said, "I issue threats, doing my best to make them reasonable."
    You know how many times Troy has uttered the phrase, "If you keep acting like this, we will never go to/or do...again" Fill in ... with whatever activity you can think of...go to the park, eat at this restaurant, go to a book store, the list goes on and on...yet, we always find out way back there eventually, to .... The kid wins every time. This really is a hard job.

    ReplyDelete