Friday, June 17, 2011

When I Grow Up

So I've finally figured it out: I know what I want to be when I grow up. I want to be a working novelist who teaches English at a university. I want an office with my photos on the wall and my books on the shelves. I want to meet with students one-on-one and discuss their work with them, recommending books and stories as I go.

I want to teach a creative writing workshop where we carefully critique each student's story or novel excerpt, collaboratively getting to the best way to express exactly what they're trying to say, in a way only they can say it.

I want a semester on-semester off schedule, so that I can write full time when I'm not teaching. I want my novels to be translated into many languages, so that people all around the world, from a wide variety of cultures, can agree about my unique insights into the human psyche.

In short, when I grow up, I want to be a writer. When I think about it, this is all I've ever wanted to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment