Sunday, June 12, 2011

Our Dance Parties Pay Off: Our Boys Can Boogie



I arrived at Manor Elementary School a little before 6 pm on a recent week night, in order to pick up my kids from their after-school program. The school year was winding down, and there was a sense -- not only during the after-school, but the regular school day, as well -- that the normally high energy level was winnowing. I remember the feeling as a teacher myself: It's a little like running in a long-distance race and being able to see the finish line. It's so close, but your legs are cramping, and you're having trouble catching your breath.


Limping toward the finish line, I used to call it.


So the teachers who run the LEAP (after-school) program had dropped their usual regimentation and brought in a sure-fire crowd pleaser, the "Michael Jackson: The Experience" Wii game. And there, along with two pretty little girls, were my two boys, waving their remotes as a computer-generated (I guess) Michael Jackson went through the choreography of "Black or White."


They both gave me a quick nod of acknowledgement, before going back to the business of trying to rack up enough correct dance moves to WIN THE GAME. This was certainly Diego's motivation. I'm sure Jackson was just enjoying dancing with the two girls.


As I watched their flushed faces, I thought about two things: It's amazing how M.J. lives on after death, and this is going to make their first 8th-grade dance so much less awkward for them than mine was for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment