Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Miles Above New York, Heading Home

I opened my window shade, on this morning's US Airways flight to Charlotte, and was greeted by a spectacular bird's-eye view of New York City, with all of Brooklyn spread out before me. It was a clear morning, so I could make out the landmarks -- the Verrazano Bridge, reaching to Staten Island, the Coney Island's Cyclone roller coaster was visible on the beach, with Prospect Park in the distance. I approximated where our old building at 651 Vanderbilt Street probably was.

Further away in the early morning sunshine, the spiky buildings of Manhattan Island bristled the horizon; I could see the Woolworth Building to the south, the Chrysler, the Empire State, of course, and the Citicorp Building.

I said a silent goodbye to the familiar geography of my birth city, to the landscape of my youth. And my plane made its way steadily southward, toward Charlotte, where I would switch to another plane bound for Austin, my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment