Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What's YOUR Definition of "Enjoyment"?


“Time keeps on slippin,’ slippin,’ slippin,' into the future.”

-- Steve Miller Band





One of the things about keeping a daily journal that is maybe a little less “agreeable,” let’s say, is the awareness, with each new dateline, that time is passing. One can become morose about it quite easily, especially in middle age, where I find myself now. Actually, when I stop to think about it, as I’m doing presently, my realization is that “middle-aged” has become a euphemism for me, or optimistic, at best. I’ve really reached the unenviable moment – and you’re lucky enough to share the occasion of my realization with me – of understanding that I’ve got less time ahead of me than I’ve put behind me.

“Over the hill.” I get that expression now.

I noticed recently that my dear old friend and high school sweetheart, Maria Voles Ferguson, had my yearbook quote among her “Favorite Quotations” on her Facebook page:

“The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.”

-- James Taylor

I took a lot of crap for that when the yearbook, Reminiscence, came out in the spring of 1981. My English teacher and early mentor, Mary O’Donnell, was disappointed, because she’d wanted me to come up with my own turn of phrase. Pink Floyd's 1978 album, The Wall was still hugely popular then, so a lot of my friends considered my quote too wimpy and not rebellious enough, in that “We Don’t Need No Education” kind of way. And, hey, come to think of it, I think Maria even teased me about it. Hmmm.

Now, however, as I look at James’s words, I think yes, why not? Our time is so precious, so fleeting and finite. Why not “enjoy” it in whichever fashion represents enjoyment in your mind? Maybe rebellion is your enjoyment. Or maybe it’s rooting out injustice. Enjoy it.

Enjoy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment