Saturday, April 23, 2011

Of An Easter, Heartbroken

It was eleven years ago, to be exact,


Easter Sunday, 2000.


We gathered at the synagogue


near my father’s home in Westchester County


to say our final good-byes to a beloved man.



It was a beautiful spring day as I recall, and I was


grateful to be surrounded by


so many friends who had come to pay their respects.


It spoke to who he was in life, that he should be


so honored in death.



I won’t take this time to write much more


than a quick recollection of that day, so that if you ever


see me on an Easter Sunday, and I look far away, as if I’m


having trouble being in the moment, you might be able to


forgive me and understand why.



Just as I could not be my usual “master of ceremonies” self


on that day, I am having trouble finding the correct turn of


phrase to describe what I felt. It was visceral, a howling pain that made me


understand what “keeners” are and why their role is necessary in Irish funerals. Sometimes words are not what’s needed. Sometimes, as Allen Ginsburg


may have been suggesting, what we need is to howl.



Good night, Dad. I miss you. Your loss was a huge one for me,


and there’s still a chip on my heart where it broke the day you


told me of the doctor’s diagnosis. I’m heartbroken that we’ve


not been able to share so many momentous occurrences in my


life – my marriage, the birth of my two sons. I’m heartbroken you’re


only an idea to them, not a living, breathing, loving grandfather. You


would have been a great one to them, just as you were to


Levi, Jules, Nina and William. Good night.



I love you, Dad.



2 comments:

  1. Wow. Tears and chills. It WAS a beautiful day. I have a very vivid memory of standing on a carpeted staircase in his house (it was his house, yes?) I know how much both of your parents meant to you and I know the pain you still feel at their loss.

    I have the same issue with a holiday, my mother dying on New Year's when everyone is partying and resolving. It's changed with time, but I always think of my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gayle! It was his house, yes. Thanks for your kind, sympathetic words.

    Good to see you back here,

    d

    ReplyDelete