Tuesday, April 26, 2011

FINALLY!

You may have an opportunity to be published today. Whether you are writing the next "War and Peace" or a simple letter to the editor, people are interested in what you have to say. You may spend too much time double-checking your thoughts and over-editing yourself, though.

When I saw my daily horoscope on Facebook this morning, I paused. I recalled those days long ago, when I used to make copies of my short stories, following the guidelines I learned about in books I bought for that purpose. I would send them out to various magazines, with the obligatory SASE inside, fully expecting to have it boomerang back to me in a month or so.

Now, I am published each and every day. And so is my friend, Kami, a brilliant writer. Not to mention Steve Lazar, a champion of young learners in the Bronx, and my former students, Jack Kyser and Shipnia Bytyqi. I can read Gayle Saks or Susan Dreyer-Leon, if I want to. And I look forward to anything new by Max Terry.

So yes, maybe there is a big, fat elitist difference between “writing” and “blogging,” but you know what: I like being a blogger, and I like reading bloggers.

There. I said it.

And I didn’t over-edit, either.


No comments:

Post a Comment