Monday, July 11, 2011

Surgery

I can count the number of surgeries I've had in my lifetime on one hand. I'm not particularly phobic about it, but I do have a healthy amount of nervousness going into this Thursday's sinus procedure.

The thing I like least about surgery is the anesthesia. I don't like the loss of control, and I don't like the feeling of coming out of the cloudy sleep afterwards. More than anything else, though, it's the vulnerability I dislike.

I just have to keep telling myself that this will mean relief -- relief from the daily headaches that have become such a depressing distraction. It's been months now, and I'm almost at the point where I can't remember what it's like not to have a headache at ten in the morning.

So wish me luck for Thursday, and do me a favor, will you? Keep your surgery horror stories to yourself. I really don't need to hear them right now. (I don't know what it is with people in this regard. It's like when Jeanette was pregnant and women felt compelled to tell her their birth stories from hell.)

Just think good thoughts on Thursday at 11:00 a.m., Central Standard Time. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. i hope things go off without a hitch and your recovery is quick. good luck, Dan.

    ReplyDelete