Friday, July 22, 2011

Finally...Feeling Like a Person Again!




What a relief it was yesterday to enjoy a kind of return to normalcy. I don’t know whether I’m out of the woods yet in terms of the health issue I’m dealing with, but just to be able to function for a full work day, to be able to interact with my colleagues, was something I’d been unable to do for over a week.


Actually, it’s not accurate to call it a “full” work day, as it ended early with yet another doctor visit. In true Matrix fashion, the ENT doc extracted the horrifically long “spacers” that had been in my nasal passages for a week. I got through it, and here’s hoping the appointment was the end of a chapter.


There are still a few more steps, though, until I reach what I would call “normalcy,” however. Or “full” normalcy, I guess. (Who am I kidding? I will never be normal.) One thing I’ve been missing this week is exercise. I miss my morning bike ride. Yeah, I know: as “exercise” it’s pretty low-key, pretty old-mannish, like the gray-haired guys in gray sweat suits who “speed walk” around our subdivision. I do miss the early-morning air. Mostly, though, I miss my private time with my bad donut-shop coffee and my journal. I like my morning routine. It is unique, creative and moderately productive. It makes me feel good about myself. If I continue to improve, I’ll return to it on Monday.


Don’t get me wrong. I know very well that compared to some of the surgeries you hear about, what I went through with my sinus issue last week was minor, to put it mildly. I consider myself lucky for my relative good health and now, more than ever, I wish to maintain it.

No comments:

Post a Comment