Monday, May 9, 2011

My Reticence Regarding "Distance" Learning


Don’t jump to conclusions. Yes, I’m a bit of a dinosaur, not quite comfortable with all the technology by which I now find myself surrounded. And yes, I remember the days when I asked my students to hand in “typed” final drafts of their papers.


In the past ten years or so, as I’ve heard the discussion of “distance” or “on-line” learning go from a murmur to a roar, from a seldom-chosen option, to one that is now expected to save the world (or at least a lot of money), I have to admit to always having felt a bit uneasy about the concept. At first I’m sure it was just a case of Fear of the Unknown. But even now that I know a bit more about the topic -- and granted, I need to learn even more -- I still find myself unsure of the idea.


I wasn’t sure where this was coming from, until this morning, when I found myself in a meeting with some local district people, talking about dropout recovery. Distance Learning entered the discussion at one point, and my Edu-sense started tingling once again.


And then I understood where my misgivings were coming from.


It goes back to my days as a teacher at Satellite Academy High School, where I worked with some of the most disaffected, disappointed and generally disengaged students in the New York City school system. We didn’t succeed with all of them; many of them were too far gone, thanks to previous experience, by the time they got to us. Try as we might, we could not reverse the tide for those students, sadly.


But we did turn the tables for many. Our task was to reintroduce them to school and to convince them that there was a better way for them than what had failed for them previously.


So much of this was about people and relationships that it’s hard for me to imagine doing that work via the Internet. We needed to be in a room with our students. I wrote my graduate thesis on advisory, and called it (rather pretentiously, I now believe), The Magic Circle.


But that’s what it was. That’s really what the whole school was. It was about young people and adults sitting in the same room and looking at each other, confronting each other about what they could and couldn’t do. Arguing. Reaching compromise and consensus. For those of us – adults and students alike – who let Satellite work for us, it was a transformative experience, one that changed us for the better.


Speaking for myself, I wouldn’t trade it for all the Internet access in the world.


There may be some situations in which isolation on the Internet can be a good thing. I’ve seen it work first-hand, for example, using the Hallway Project, a model that has truants and classroom disruptors taken out of their regular classes and placed in highly individualized project-based work, with ample face time with a teacher/coach.


But those kids still need interaction. They need to be able to meet with their peers and talk about what excites them, disappoints them, challenges them and invigorates them. They need the Magic Circle that a good school should always provide.


I do see Distance Learning as a potentially positive evolution in schooling. My fear is that people – particularly the number crunchers – will try to use it as a panacea, to cure all the ills of public education.


For at-risk students and dropouts, isolation is not the answer. Put them in front of a computer screen for part of their day. But don’t deny them the benefits of human interaction in the process.

3 comments:

  1. You are so right it is about building the relationships with kids and with our colleagues. I have become highly involved with the virtual learning program at our high school and I will admit that for our over age and under credited students it has been a Godsend. DL is providing the opportunity for kids who have arrived at the 12 grade with all of their TAKS passed yet for some reason they are short an Algebra II A or English !A, etc... We as educators owe it to our students to afford them every opportunity to graduate on time and with their peers. I know that there is a place for DL. DL is a very necessary tool for our 21st Century learners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is equally imperative that we build relationships with our student's family!!! So often we forget about the parents who in essence are our customers. They are the ones who chose us to educate their children. We must honor them for their commitment to us and must help earn and keep their TRUST!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent points, James. And I'll add a hyperlink, so you can see what the Hallway Project is about. It sounds similar to what you're doing with your OAUC students.

    ReplyDelete