Sunday, May 8, 2011

Facebook and Mother’s Day









I’m pretty sure it was a new thing this year; I don’t recall seeing mom pictures last Mother's Day on Facebook. At first, when I saw Lisa Rivera’s post imploring me to help “get as many beautiful moms on there as we can,” I found the idea kind of corny. But then I thought about the possibilities of it. I wanted to know the answer to the question. I wanted to see how many profile pictures would have moms in it.


So I did something I almost never do. I cut and pasted Lisa’s post and waited to see what would come of it. Sure enough, many of my other friends responded with kind words – about my mother and their own – and their profile pictures changed, too.


Tonight, as Mother’s Day 2011 comes to a close, it warms my heart to see so much love going out to the mothers, whose job is, after all, so relentlessly hard.


It will be interesting to see if the same thing happens on Father’s Day next month. It’s on Sunday, June 19th, by the way. In case anyone is wondering. And I need guitar strings.


Happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers, and to all the motherless children who miss their moms so much today, and every other. Remember to take all that love they gave you and give it to someone else. It’s the passing along of love, after all, that’s going to save us in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment