Monday, May 27, 2019

Memorial to a Different Kind of War

My mother, Carol R. Fuchs, Washington Square Village, New York, ca. 1962

Happy Birthday, Carol Runyan Fuchs.  Today you would've turned 88 years old.  Had you made it past 57 when you gave in to cancer -- just one year older than I am now.

Appropriate, I suppose, that her birthday lands on Memorial Day this year.  She didn't die in battle the way one thinks of it when thinking of Memorial Day; however, anyone who has seen a loved one struggle against, and eventually succumb to cancer knows it's as painful, as traumatic as any war.  Less violent, maybe, but just as heart-wrenching to watch.

And the loss is no less real.

I miss you, Mom.  Thank you for your service to our family, to me personally as the man you helped me to become -- the artist, too.  And thank you for continuing to serve your lineage, in the ways I pass your unique influence on to my children.

After writing this post in my journal, I was inspired to sketch a self-portrait, something I haven't done in years.  I know it's not very good technically speaking.  But in my mind, it's one of the finest "quick sketches" I've ever done.  My mother drew in this style, and I can't help but believe I was "channeling" her somehow when I sketched it.






















No comments:

Post a Comment