Sunday, May 26, 2019

InternmentInternment by Samira Ahmed
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I recall a story my father once told, of his older brother, Geoffrey standing up in the middle of a Hitler Youth "assembly" at their grammar school in Karlsruhe, Germany, some time in the mid 30's and shouting "Hitler ist ein Arschloch!" All my dad knew about the consequences of a young Jewish boy disparaging the Fuhrer so publicly was that the family was forced to find a new school for Geoffrey and his three young siblings. There were probably threats, maybe violence. But my uncle's bravery, as just a small boy, to stand up to an entire regime in this way astounds me to this day.

Samira Ahmed's novel Internment tells a similar story. Ahmed creates a protagonist who is young -- seventeen going on eighteen -- and, above all, brave. Her humanity shines through in every decision she makes; although she is certainly revolutionary, Layla Amin is her father's daughter. She has a poet's sensibility and is driven by a belief in what is good in our hearts as human beings. Ahmed calls on the oft-heard chant of anti-fascist rallies: "The people, united, will never be defeated."

As an educator, I am so pleased to know that this book is now on the shelves of my school's library. Ahmed speaks to young readers in a way that calls them to action without treating them as political pawns or symbols of some larger, dogmatic ideal. Through the eyes of an intelligent, strong narrator, Ms. Ahmed reminds her readers that what this country was founded on is what we must always continue to fight for.

This world needs Layla Amins and Geoffrey Fuchses. It also needs Samira Ahmeds. Thank goodness we have her. And thank goodness we have Internment.

Resist.


View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment