Tuesday, May 7, 2019

A Letter to Jackson H. Fuchs on His Fourteenth Birthday





A very young Jackson Fuchs, looking like a Baby Gap ad


Dear Jackson:

Having spent the last fourteen years in the role of your father, I can honestly say there's nothing in my life I've enjoyed doing more.  You have managed to illuminate my world with that "special light" your mother describes, since almost the beginning.  And for me that light shines in a full circle, because I can't see it without thinking about my father, Hanno, the man from whom you got your middle name.  You somehow give off a very similar light, which is what makes you my son, and one of my favorite human beings on the planet, as well.

Yes, we have our differences on occasion.  There are times when we yell at each other -- me the stern parent, you the obstinate teen.  But we always come back together, with a hug, or some other, less obvious expression of our undying love.

Some cultures believe the child chooses its parents.  I don't know if that's true, having seen so many BAD matches over the years.  But if it's true in your case, Jackson, I have just one thing to say:  Thank you.  Thank you for choosing me as your father.  And thank you for shining your beautiful light on my world.

Happy birthday, son.  I love you,

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment