Wednesday, June 17, 2020

30 Hikes in 30 Days: Day Three: Copperfield Nature Trail

Day Three: Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Copperfield Nature Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Austin, Texas that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.




Trailside wildflower on the Copperfield Nature Trail
Photo credit:  J. Reyes-Fuchs

When I researched this particular trail, I wasn't sure what I was dealing with. It is located in an area dotted with apartment complexes, a large Vietnamese church complex, and a lovely subdivision I'd failed to ever notice in my ten-plus years living in the area.

On paper, it looks unimpressive -- a big loop ringing a residential neighborhood. Unlike Webberville, it is by no means in the middle of nowhere; it is very much in the middle of Austin's ever-spreading sprawl. I pictured a nice walking trail, paved, on a green belt maybe. Nice, but probably no great shakes.

I was mistaken. Copperfield is a lovely, well-maintained trail. It even had some pretty good hills, which Jeanette and I were not expecting.


My lovely bride and I, when we saw a steep hill up ahead
There are a few sections that run uncomfortably close to people's back yards, and even a point that spit us out into the middle of a suburban block, and gave us minimal signage to find our way back to the trail.  

Other than that, however, Copperfield Nature was a pleasant surprise and a great workout. My lovely bride and I give it two enthusiastic thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment