Wednesday, June 17, 2020

30 Hikes in 30 Days: Day Four: Bull Creek District Park and Greenbelt

Day Four:  Wednesday, June 17, 2020:  Bull Creek District Park and Greenbelt

Bull Creek District Park is a 48-acre city park in Austin, Texas. The park was created in 1971, and named for Bull Creek, the stream that passes through it and provides the focal point of the park's primary attractions of swimming, hiking, and fishing.  -- Wikipedia

My lovely bride and me, on one of the scenic elevations at Bull Creek Trail


Bull Creek runs through impressive rock formations, and offers some moderate to challenging trails. We saw a good amount of wildlife during our hike, including river turtles, minnows and larger fish, and a good sized rabbit who crossed our path. We spotted a couple of cardinals and a black heron, as well.

Unfortunately, we spotted a lot of garbage, too. I felt a little like the Native American in the classic anti-littering ad I grew up with in the seventies. ("Keep America Beautiful") From the moment we hit the trail, I started noticing all kinds of trash -- in the water, in the trees, and on the trail.

It's clear from burnt embers and charcoal briquettes that there's an after-dark scene that goes on here. Whether it's teenagers having fun, or homeless people trying to survive, or some combination of the two, there's an overabundance of refuse that I'd be remiss not to mention.

That being said, the beauty ultimately outshined the rubbish, and my lovely bride and I ended up having a memorable morning of hiking at Bull Creek. My hope is that once the pandemic is a thing of the past, the Austin Parks and Recreation department will do a better job maintaining the natural splendor of this place.

She's become quite the trailblazer, my lovely bride!

No comments:

Post a Comment