Saturday, March 28, 2020

Love in the Time of Corona: Update Six

A Word from the Elders

Our dog is getting more walks during this outbreak than she's ever had in any comparable span of time.  In the course of one of these outings, I stopped by our mailbox to see what bills, statements, and/or junk mail had come this time.  The box contained the usual dreck, but also an envelope with my name and address handprinted across its face.  The return address was a sticker like the ones Easter Seals sends you when they want a donation.  My aunt Gabby's name was the one printed, with "& Gerda" handwritten next to it.  These are my twin aunties, Gabrielle Fuchs and Gerda Rypins.  At nearly 89 years old, they are the lone survivors of their siblings, eldest brother Jeff having passed just over a month ago, and middle brother, my father Hanno, twenty years ago next month.

The letter is in cursive, a sheet of 8.5 x 11 printer paper folded in the middle like stationery, with Gabby taking up two and a half pages and Gerda the remaining side and a half.  Both were sweet, newsy, and funny, Gabby opening with "Hi dearest nephew Dan!"  She complained about the president's lazy vocabulary ("such as 'incredible' and 'unbelievable.'")  "He's so destructive," she went on.  "I wish they'd tape his ugly mouth forever!"

She went on to discuss their lives living together in the midst of the pandemic, how their local Safeway grocery store is reserving the hours from 7-9 a.m. for "senior shopping."  (Her emphasis.)

Her twin sister Gerda was characteristically more economical in her words; the aptly named Gabby has always been the more gregarious of the two in my experience.  Gerda's sense of humor is dryer than her sister's.  For instance, in her portion of the letter she quips, "By the way, I washed my hands thoroughly before writing to you!"

(Note:  I was going to call this the "Fuchs Sense of Humor," but it actually reminds me more of my mom, the late, great Carol R. Fuchs, a woman both sisters adored.)

It was wonderful to hear from these two, with whom I've reconnected, having spent time with them during our family reunion in Berkeley in the summer of 2018, and exchanging the occasional letter like this one.  It pains me that they're so far away, but I'm grateful they have each other, just as they have for the past 89 years.  They've seen each other through escaping the Nazis in Germany, and the deaths of many more loved ones that the two I've mentioned here, so I have no doubt they'll see each other through this unprecedented moment in our planet's modern history.
Gabby and Gerda Fuchs with my father Hanno, left, father, Bill, and brother Geoffrey, circa 1934 (?)

3 comments:

  1. Send our love to them, as well as for my mum and dad, may they go thru this unharmed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the honor of taking care of Geoffrey for the last four years of his life. He was what I would always call him.a gentle giant just a big teddy bear. In the beginning he would tell me so many stories and as any sibling would they were about Gabby, Gerda and Hanno. To the point where he would be sleeping but he still called out to them. As hard as it is to miss someone who has become such family not only jeff but his family also. He always had the best support system behind him. And its funny how you described the notes as I would at times read the cards they would send to him. Always bringing a smile to his face. I absolutely love " they should tape his ugly mouth forever." It's with mine and my families best wishes and healing thoughts that they stay safe during this epidemic. I would love to offer being a "penpal" per say to the both of them as now they are family also. With all my love as well as my families. Happy, healthy and safe thoughts for everyone during this time.


    Love,
    Elijah, Markayla and our baby boy Adrian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Elijah: Thank you so much for your kind note. It's inspiring and comforting to me to know that you were with my uncle in the last years of his life, as you are clearly an exceptional human being. I wish you and your family nothing but good things in the years to come. Warmly, Dan

    ReplyDelete