Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Love in the Time of Corona: Update Four

Back to School....Sort Of  

"Distance" Learning? Hmmm....


Today (Monday, 3/23/20) feels different, because it's the day we were supposed to go back to school, after a week off for Spring Break.  Something about this outbreak, and all the restrictions that come with it, seemed less real, maybe because it was all happening during a time my family and I were "off."

As far as my district is concerned, I am officially "on-call"; as such, I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude.  Like other parents, I will position my children, kicking and screaming, I'm sure, in front of some of the non-required enrichment assignments they've put together on their website, in an effort to prevent student brains from turning to complete mush from lack of use.

Parenting in the Pandemic

Let me start out by saying, I believe myself to be relatively fortunate, as the father of two young men of 14 and 16 respectively who are, by and large, fairly "together" people.  I can only imagine what it must be like for the parents of younger children, or kids with cognitive disabilities and delays.  I wonder about my students and their families, some of whom were already dealing with numerous stressors before the pandemic even happened.

In my role as Father to these two boys -- and I know I put this on myself -- I must keep up a strong front.  My kids will receive no benefit from my fear of the unknown.  So, in the face of the latest developments -- a "Stay-home, stay-safe" (aka shelter-in-place) order for the residents of our county -- I can only stay positive and present for my family, because it's what I know they need.

Inside, however, it's another story altogether....

My model for post-apocalyptic parenting, Rick Grimes of The Walking Dead

No comments:

Post a Comment