Sunday, February 14, 2021

Love in the Time of Corona: Update Fourteen - Valentine's Day 2021

The two of us, pre-Corona, out on a date


 We've been married for 6,960 days.  Happy Valentine's Day to my lovely bride.  I've made it clear in previous writings many times how I feel about this holiday -- that it's a shameless cash grab by the Chocolatier-Florist-Greeting Card-Industrial Complex, and yadda-yadda, blah-blah-blah.

The fact is -- and I've probably written about this, too -- that what I feel about Valentine's Day is completely beside the point.  This so-called "holiday" is decidedly not about me at all.

And that is fine.  As it should be.  I enjoy making my lovely bride feel loved.  Plan to do it for many years to come.  That being said, I woke up this morning and thought, "Shit.  I need to head over to Walmart and grab a card and some flowers."  Unfortunately, our unusually cold winter continues, thanks, apparently, to something called the "Polar Vortex" (sounds like a Nick Cage movie).  So when my tires started sliding on the icy roads, I decided not to tempt fate.  I turned around before even leaving the neighborhood, and re-parked the car in the driveway.

Then, the googling began -- "Free printable Valentine's Day card for spouse."  (Yes, honey, if you're reading this, I did say "free."  It's not a comment on your worth to me; it's about saving for that Tuscany trip we've been talking about.)

I found a card I liked that allows you to calculate the number of days you've been together -- thus the 6,960 for us -- and printed it up.  I then found some strawberries in the fridge, carved them into hearts, placed them on a nice white plate, and brought those items to her, along with her morning coffee.  She was so touched by the gesture she posted a photo with the comment, "It's all in the details. Thank you honey."

First of all, let me say that it was, quite literally, the least I could do.  Imma slide my soap box back over here, and stand up on it for a hot minute.

For those of us who do NOT make six or seven figures every year (and I understand and appreciate I have it better than many), these holidays, lovely though they are, bring an element of dread.  They activate that judgmental scold, that inner voice that asks the question, "Are you good enough? Your Facebook friend from high school is taking his wife to Mallorca for Valentine's Day, and you printed out a free card.  Look at you."  Or "Your next-door neighbor bought her kid a brand new car for his birthday.  What did you get yours for his?  Do you even remember?  What kind of parent are you?"

I know, I know.  "Buck up, Buttercup," right?  This is America.  This is the world as we know it.  As we've made it.  Still.  Makes you think, doesn't it?

Happy Valentine's Day to all!

A simple gesture to show my love


No comments:

Post a Comment