Monday, November 7, 2011

Generations on a Mantlepiece














My eye was drawn recently to the mantelpiece – more specifically, I found myself looking at a fascinating heirloom called a Wanderbecher.


At first glance, it doesn’t look like much. The silver of this two-ounce cup is tarnished. One can hardly make out the inscription, or even know that there is one.


What makes it truly special is the note my uncle sent along with the cup:


Dear Diego:


This ‘Wanderbecher’ is like a challenge trophy and must be passed on according to a simple rule. It is to be passed down through generations of (male) May babies to perpetuate the Fuchs family name forever.


It was given to me by your great grandfather’s cousin Gottfried (Godfrey) of international soccer fame, since I (Werner Gottfried) – the next generation Fuchs – was born in May.


It is now yours to keep until a future generation gives birth to a Fuchs baby boy in May.


Use it to drink in the sweet nectars of a wonderful life.


Much Love,


Your great-uncle,



Geoffrey


The actual inscription that is etched into the cup reads, Wanderbecher der Familie Fuchs and is followed by the May birthdates and the respective names that go with them. The first two are in German, and the last is in English:


3 Mai 1889 – Gottfried Eric Fuchs


3 Mai 1926 – Werner Gottfried Fuchs


May 16 2003 – Diego Reyes-Fuchs


My uncle Geoffrey and I are similar in a number of ways. I think we are both idealists who cling tightly to the notion of family and family history. There is a great deal of importance in keeping our family name alive in the world, and keeping this branch of the Fuchs tree growing strong.


Obviously, when one looks at the dates on the Wanderbecher, one notes the piece is over 120 years old. Almost more striking to me is the idea that my uncle will turn 86 next May. I’d like to figure out a way to see him soon. He’s a good man and an inspiration, due to his strength, commitment to learning, and love of family. My cousin’s son Gabe (Geoffrey’s grandson) recently had a child, making Jeff a great-grandfather for the first time.


I’d love the opportunity to see the two of them together – patriarch and most recent arrival – sometime soon. I can only imagine how it must light my uncle up, to be in the room with four generations of der Familie Fuchs.

1 comment:

  1. GOD, your family has such a beautiful emphasis on legacy. My God. Love this. Love you.

    ReplyDelete