Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Sense of Community

On Friday night I took the boys over to the Manor ISD Athletic Complex to watch the Mustangs take on the Hippos from Hutto.  Our whole town turns out for the games, in true "Friday Night Lights" fashion, and I enjoy seeing my kids' teachers and their families at the games.  It feels like an authentic community experience.

We ate nachos and hot dogs until Diego decided he wanted to go.  We got to watch a little bit of football in the process, with our Mustangs leading big at the time we got there, in the second quarter, by a score of 35 - 13.  The Hippos came back (I read in the paper the next day) to win it 45 - 43. 

Like the football game, Manor Fest was a nice bit of community the next day.  The downtown area was blocked off to traffic, and transformed into a street fair, complete with a car show, a barbecue truck courtyard, live music and lots of activities for children.  Diego impressed the crowd on the bungee trampoline, doing some impressive flips while being whipped into mid-air.  We ate Elgin sausages, sitting in the shade of the bouncy castle. 

It feels good living in a small town, especially after so many years in one of the world's largest cities.  I like our little home and our little hometown, even if it is a bit "suburban" for my taste.  It's a comfortable place to hang my hat at the end of a long day.  And starting Monday, my days are going to get a LOT longer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment