Thursday, February 10, 2011

Cafe Society 2.0 (A registered trademark of Starbucks)

Don't judge me, because I know what I'm about to say is totally uncool, but I really, really like hanging out in Starbucks, especially when I am fortunate enough to score an overstuffed chair. This one, in South Fort Worth, is small and gives into the Barnes & Noble next door. There is an exhibit of attractive black and white photographs, some of tourist sights in Fort Worth, others of people's hands. If I was someone with money, I'd consider purchasing one.

People sit, thumbing their mobile phones and tapping on their laptop keyboards, like me. There's a funky DVD playing, something along the lines of Sade. Smooth jazz, only cooler. TCU students sit and eat and chat, using the word "like" so much that I imagine a device that will administer electric shocks each time they say it. Finally, mercifully, they shut up and get to work on whatever it is they've come together to work on today -- a group project of some sort, I'm thinking. Currently they're doing their best at some silent reading, but are easily distracted. One of them gets a call on her cell and disappears, chattering loudly. Another is listening to her iPod and can't seem to focus.

It's similar but different from the cafes I used to hang around in when I lived in Madrid. A decidedly Americanized version. But I do appreciate that I can do some pretty darn good people watching, while I sit and nurse my one coffee and no one bugs me about it.

If I had a life that allowed for this use of my time, I'd be in a Starbucks on the regular. Maybe I will schedule things so that I can make this a part of my monthly visits to Fort Worth.

Oh, she's back. Talking about her friend with the mysterious growth who just called. She has like a whole like list of like possible like diagnoses.

ZAP! ZAP! ZAP! ZAP!

Okay, I love the cafe society. 2.0 works just fine for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment